I was looking up the information for Proposition 107 here in Arizona and found an article which gave me a bit of an eye-opener about the City of Tucson. I don't know why it should have been so surprising considering that I was discriminated against at UCLA 25 years ago just for for having a lack of pigmentation.
The part of the article which annoyed me is this
Tucson City Code which provides eligible firms of minorities which have not received their fair share of contracts an "adjustment" allowing them to bid up to 7 percent more on product or service contracts and still win. And there are procedures to give bonus points to certain firms bidding on professional services.
So, I looked it up. Sure enough, the City of Tucson adjusts contracts from minority owned businesses by 7%. Tucscon City Code says the following:
So, what exactly IS a "Certified MWBE"? Page 2 describes it as a "local disadvantaged business enterprise, minotiry or women-Owned business that has completed the application process.. and met the requirements...".
Ok, so what is a disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE)? Page 3 defines that as a "for-profit small business concern that is at least fifty-one (51) percent Owned by one or more individuals are are both socially and economically disadvantaged..."
What is "Minority"? Page 5 gives us this answer.
Minority shall mean citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States including any individual in teh following groups, members of which are presumed to be socially and economically disadvantaged...
- Black Americans includes persons having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa
- Hispanic Americans includes persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Domincan, Central, or South American or other Spanish or Portuguese culture of origin, regardless of race
- Native Americans include persons who are American Indians, Eskimos, Aleuts, or Native Hawaiians
- Aisan-Pacific Americans includes persons whose origians are from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Burma (Myanmar), Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia (Kampuchea), Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Phillipines, Brunei, Samoa, Guam, the U.S Trust Territories of the Pacific Islands (Republic of Palau), the Commonweath of Northern Marianas Islands, Macao, Figi, Tonga, Kiribati, Juvala, Naura, Federated States of Micronesia, Hong Kong,
- Subcontinent Asian Americans incluces persons whose origins are from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Maldives Islans, Nepal, or Sri Lanka.
Residents of Tucson, I have to ask you, are you insane? Japan? Hong Kong? China?
There is only one path out of this morass of racial discrimination and racism and that is to eliminate any and all preferences, set asides, "affirmative action", etc and judge people only by the content of their character, judge contracts only by the contracts themselves and the reputations of those submitting the contracts.
Tucon City Council Members and the Mayor should be ashamed of themselves. They and all other government officials and bureaucrats are entrusted with public monies and should be good stewards. Instead, they have taken that money and used it to disciminate in favor of certain groups based exclusively on "race".